Friday, October 12, 2012

Praying with a Purpose, Part I


Hello Bible girls and ladies,
2012 has been a year of learning and blessings.  Right after the holidays I had the chance to spend an hour on the phone with my sister, Paula.  We don't talk much on the phone because it will last over an hour each time.  We love to talk about what the Lord has taught us along with what our kids are doing, how we're getting old, and the books we've read.
She recommended that I get a book about prayer called "The Hour that Changes the World".  I've never been able to spend an hour in prayer, much less thirty minutes without falling asleep, getting distracted, or running out of things to say.  Basically, the book teaches that prayer has several components and if you spend five minutes on each area it will equal one hour with God.  Wow.  I wanted that.  I have to say that I believe it has changed me for the better.  I'm not bragging but I wish that someone would have taught this to me when I was a teenager.  I might not have been able to spend five minutes on each area and have one hour, but I could spend two minutes on each area and have 24 minutes, or one minute on each area and have twelve minutes.  Girls, anytime that we spend with God is a help and blessing in our lives.
Here are the components to a time with the Lord - prayer time.
1. Praise - Praise God for who He is, what He does, His name, His qualities, His work - make a list and focus on several different areas each day.  He is the Almighty, Bread of Life, Comforter, Deliverer, Everlasting Father, Friend, Guide, Healer, Image of God, Judge, King, Lamb, Master, Nazarene, Omega, Power, Prince of Peace, Rock, Shepherd, Teacher, Vine, Way, etc.
2. Wait - This is where we put ourselves in our place.  We are to wait on the Lord, to listen and realize that we are existing only for His glory.  This is a time to humble ourselves before God's throne.  Sometimes we treat God like Santa Clause, just show a list of what we want.  We need to realize we are nothing without the Lord.  He is all.
3. Confess - This is where we remove the barriers between ourselves and the Lord - our sins.  I John 1:9 says that we should confess our sins and He will forgive us.  Doing this daily takes a load of guilt off of our hearts and keeps the channels open and clear between us and our Lord.
4. Watching - Jesus told his disciples to  "Watch and pray".  It has nothing to do with keeping your eyes open, but being alert.  What's going on in the world, in your neighborhood?  Are you aware of the needs of the lost around the world?  Expand your prayer life globally instead of thinking only of yourself.

Part II coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment